Photojournalist Jason Hoekema
A 36-year-old Army Combat Veteran with over 15 years of combined professional work experience, including nearly 9 years of active duty service. Now an award-winning photojournalist currently serving the rural population of Ava, Missouri. Summa Cum Laude graduate with a Bachelors of Arts in Journalism from Ashford University. Currently looking for new career opportunities as a staff sports photojournalist for a university or wire service.
Intelligent Autonomous Creative Punctual Dependable Objective
Diligent Strategist Honest Proactive Organized Ethical
Freelance Photojournalist, Douglas County Herald August 2021 - Present
- Returned for 2021-2022 athletic season
Class VIII Vehicle Operator, PRIME Inc. July 2020 - May 2021
- OTR Refrigerated Cargo Driver
- Fulfilled 9-month contract.
Photojournalist, Douglas County Herald November 2018 – May 2020
- Only sports journalist covering Ava High School with both writing and photography work.
- Sports season ended due to COVID, sought temporary employment.
Photojournalist, The Brownsville Herald February 2016 – November 2018
- Awarded 2017 Texas APME Class 2A first place News Photography, second place Star Photojournalist of the Year and third place in Short Feature categories.
- Contributor of widely-disseminated AP images on major national news developments regarding border security, immigration, politics, and the Zika Virus.
- Primary sports photojournalist, covering 11 high schools and nearly every University Scholastic League competitive sport in Texas.
Staff Photographer, Valley Morning Star July 2015 – October 2015
- Provided relevant art and photography for various news, sports and feature topics to be published in the 8,000-copy daily publication.
- Developed feature articles and highlighted community members in the City of Harlingen, Texas.
- Made tight deadlines despite lengthy travel distances while photographing high school sports in both urban and rural coverage areas.
Intern Photographer, The Brownsville Herald August 2014 – March 2015
- Authored a double-truck print with image-essay and approximately 3,000 words about a local Catholic charity assisting immigrants released from DHS detention on their way further into the United States.
Sergeant, Medical Trauma-Team Leader, U.S. Army August 2005 – June 2014
- Honorably served in two overseas tours supporting the Republic of Korea in 2006 to 2007 and in a combat deployment to Baghdad, Iraq in 2010.
- Responsible for the health and welfare of hundreds of soldiers while also leveraging new technologies to provide health care and track deployment readiness while also maintaining a proficient trauma team consisting of 5 soldiers, a combat vehicle, and over $100,000 of medical supplies and equipment.
Bachelors of Arts, Journalism & Communications, Ashford University May 2017
Summa Cum Laude, Alpha Sigma Lambda, Golden Key Society
Associates of Arts, University of Texas and Texas Southmost College May 2015